GetData Recover My Files is a professional file recovery program made by a company which is a leader in data recovery, file recovery and computer forensics. It is compatible with Windows 2003, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10. The product has been tested and validated by the Department of Homeland Security. We have used the product numerous times ourselves and we can guarantee that it has an unmatched rate of recovery.
This program can help you recover files from hard disk, external drive, USB, memory card and other media in the following situations:
- After a virus or ransomware deleted your files
- When you have emptied Recycle Bin.
- After accidental format.
- After reinstalling Windows.
- After hard disk crash.
- After partitioning error.
- If you have RAW hard drive.
Please note that this is a paid program. Currently there is no good free alternative that would reliably recover your lost files. We have tried several programs and Recover My Files seems to be the only one to cope with such situations well. It is also cheaper than bringing your computer to a local file recovery company.
On the other hand, if your hard disk is damaged physically, is water soaked or there is another hardware problem, you should only bring it to recovery experts instead of trying to recover the files yourself. Otherwise you might cause further damage.
IMPORTANT: When Windows deletes files they are marked as “free space” and that space becomes ready to be rewritten when you create a new file. The old files can still be recovered by using recovery software quite easily if there has not been many rewriting happening. However, the longer you use your computer after the loss of data the harder it gets to recover your files. Therefore, try to use the recovery software as soon as possible after the loss of files.
IMPORTANT: Please be aware that file recovery is not a quick process. It takes a lot of time to scan and recover your files. Depending on your hard disk size and computer performance the scanning process might take a whole day.
► Step 1:
Start by downloading and installing the program. The Standard version costs $69.95 while the Professional version is priced at $99.95. Standard is enough in most cases. You will receive a key valid for 2 PCs.
We recommend installing the program on a drive other than the one on which your files were lost.
You can also try out the free evaluation version first and see if your files could be recovered. The software will find and show the files but you will have to buy the full version if you want to restore them.
► Step 2:
Decide if you want to Recover Files or Recover Drive.
Recover Files is usually helpful when:
- Files have been deleted by a virus
- Files have been encoded by a ransomware and the original versions were deleted by it
- You have accidentally deleted or lost individual files
Recover Drive is usually helpful when:
- Your drive has been formatted
- Windows have been reinstalled
- Your drive is corrupt
- There are other problems that affect the entire drive
► Step 3:
We chose to Recover Files as it is the most common option. The process is almost identical as in Recover Drive.
Start by selecting a drive on which the files were lost.
Now you will have to decide which scan method to use:
- Search for Deleted Files (Recommended) is a quick option. It usually takes less than 1 hour. It looks for recently deleted files and recovers them with original file names and structure intact.
- Search for Deleted Files, then search for selected Lost File Types first runs a scan as described above and then scans the remaining area of the disk for lost files. Lost files are the ones which are harder to retrieve and advanced scanning (data carving) is required. The recovered files will not have their original names and will be named “LostFile_FileType_X”. You will be able to select file types you want to recover before scanning begins.
We recommend the second option (Search for Deleted Files, then search for selected Lost File Types) if you have been hit by a virus while the first one is useful if you have only used several files. The second option is more resource intensive and might even require a day or more to complete the scanning process. However, you will be guaranteed that the software does its best in order to locate and recover all possible data.
► Step 4:
Wait for the scan to finish.
As mentioned above, it might take a while. Make sure you do not turn off the computer during the process and that there is a constant power supply. If it is a laptop, make sure it is plugged into a power source.
► Step 5:
Preview the discovered files.
You can preview the files while the search is running but we recommend waiting until it is finished.
On the left you see a folder tree with a number of recoverable files displayed near each of them. You can also use File Type or Date tabs to search for the files.
You can preview the files on the right side of the program.
► Step 6:
Select the files you want to recover.
Do this by marking the checkboxes near each folder or file.
If you are using the evaluation version you will need to click Buy and Activate before you can save the files. You will not need to perform a new search.
Once you have selected all files you want to recover, click Save at the top left corner.
The files will then be recovered. You will have to save them on a separate storage media than the one on which your files have been lost.
Visit the official FAQ page if you run into any issues.